Feed aggregator

How They're Doing It in Denmark

Steward's Corner - Wed, 2020-04-08 17:16

The Danish government has struck a historic deal with unions and employers’ associations to stop mass layoffs during the pandemic.

Over the next three months, the national government will cover 75 percent of the wages of workers who would otherwise be laid off, up to $3,300 per month. Companies will cover the remaining 25 percent of wages, while workers will give up five days of future paid vacation time.

Categories: Labor Notes

How They're Doing It in Denmark

Magazine Stories - Wed, 2020-04-08 17:16

The Danish government has struck a historic deal with unions and employers’ associations to stop mass layoffs during the pandemic.

Over the next three months, the national government will cover 75 percent of the wages of workers who would otherwise be laid off, up to $3,300 per month. Companies will cover the remaining 25 percent of wages, while workers will give up five days of future paid vacation time.

Categories: Labor Notes

Undaunted Sanders Supporters Announce They’ll Continue Presidential Campaign Without Candidate

The Onion - Wed, 2020-04-08 17:06

NEW YORK—Stressing that they would not allow a minor bump in the road to prevent them from delivering true change, the nation’s undaunted Bernie Sanders supporters announced Wednesday that they would continue his 2020 presidential campaign without the candidate. “Time and again, the mainstream media has predicted the…

Read more...

Categories: The Onion

SCHOLARSHIPS REMINDER!

UFCW 1459 - Wed, 2020-04-08 16:03

FOR A LIST OF SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE TO UFCW LOCAL 1459 MEMBERS AND THEIR FAMILIES VISIT WWW.UFCW1459.COM/SCHOLARSHIP

 

European Vacation Dispatch: Ciao From The Venetian Riviera!

The Onion - Wed, 2020-04-08 15:51

Host Leslie Price is on vacation this week, but be sure to join him when he returns on Monday, April 13, for all-new episodes of The Topical every weekday morning!

Read more...

Categories: The Onion

The Coronavirus Crisis Exposes How Fragile Capitalism Already Was

Steward's Corner - Wed, 2020-04-08 15:25
The Coronavirus Crisis Exposes How Fragile Capitalism Already Was April 08, 2020 / Stephanie Luce

When this is all over, will we be able to patch up the economy and get things back to normal? Trump certainly claims so. But he’s wrong.

Weak attempts to patch up the problems of capitalism—as much as the coronavirus itself—are what got us into the current economic meltdown in the first place.

Let’s define some terms. When we talk about the health of the economy, there are two parts: the “real economy,” which includes all the goods and services that we produce, and the “financial economy”: money, stock markets, banks, and credit.

Categories: Labor Notes

The Coronavirus Crisis Exposes How Fragile Capitalism Already Was

Magazine Stories - Wed, 2020-04-08 15:25
The Coronavirus Crisis Exposes How Fragile Capitalism Already Was April 08, 2020 / Stephanie Luce

When this is all over, will we be able to patch up the economy and get things back to normal? Trump certainly claims so. But he’s wrong.

Weak attempts to patch up the problems of capitalism—as much as the coronavirus itself—are what got us into the current economic meltdown in the first place.

Let’s define some terms. When we talk about the health of the economy, there are two parts: the “real economy,” which includes all the goods and services that we produce, and the “financial economy”: money, stock markets, banks, and credit.

Categories: Labor Notes

SeaWorld CEO Resigns After Furloughing 90% Of Workers

The Onion - Wed, 2020-04-08 14:12

Citing disagreements with the board of directors, Sergio Rivera resigned this week just five months into his tenure as SeaWorld CEO and days after the company furloughed 90% of its employees due to the coronavirus pandemic. What do you think?

Read more...

Categories: The Onion

Damning Report Finds White House Ignored Skeletal Horsemen Galloping Through Sky As Early As January

The Onion - Wed, 2020-04-08 13:49

WASHINGTON—In a very serious and damning new report published Wednesday, a government watchdog group has found that, as early as January, White House officials failed to heed repeated warnings of impending doom that arrived via four skeletal horsemen galloping through the sky. “On Jan. 3, the Trump administration…

Read more...

Categories: The Onion

How Unemployment Benefits Work

The Onion - Wed, 2020-04-08 11:01

Over 6 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits last week, and the last three weeks have seen the largest rise in unemployment claims in U.S. history, with many people now embroiled for the first time in an often confusing process. The Onion provides a step-by-step guide to how unemployment benefits work.

Read more...

Categories: The Onion

NASA Launches Vengeance Rover To Pay Back Mars For Killing Opportunity Back In 2018

The Onion - Wed, 2020-04-08 10:55

CAPE CANAVERAL—Calling it the first purely revenge-based mission to ever be attempted on the red planet, NASA officials announced Wednesday the successful launch of the Vengeance Rover to pay back Mars for killing Opportunity back in 2018. “This is a historic launch that will bring our administration closer to the…

Read more...

Categories: The Onion

‘Just Go Home And Sleep It Off,’ Says Doctor To Coughing, Feverish Black Patient

The Onion - Wed, 2020-04-08 10:50

MILWAUKEE, WI—Downplaying requests to check his vital signs as “totally unnecessary,” primary care physician William Kinlaw recommended Wednesday that a coughing, feverish black patient “just go home and sleep it off.” “We’re dealing with a flood of people who have actual problems, so you shouldn’t come in unless it’s…

Read more...

Categories: The Onion

12 Shocking Table Corners We Wish We Could Unsee

The Onion - Wed, 2020-04-08 09:06

Ugh! Good luck erasing this table corner from our memory.

Read more...

Categories: The Onion

Lady Gaga Announces Multi-Network Covid-19 Benefit Concert Telecast

The Onion - Wed, 2020-04-08 08:53

Lady Gaga announced that she is curating the “One World: Together At Home” benefit concert that will air simultaneously on ABC, NBC, and CBS on April 18 and feature musical artists including Elton John, Paul McCartney, Lizzo, and Billie Eilish among others. What do you think?

Read more...

Categories: The Onion

Review: The Institute, by Stephen King

Eric Lee's Blog - Tue, 2020-04-07 23:56

Stephen King is a master story teller and his latest book is further proof of his skills. It tells the story of a young boy, Luke Ellis, who is kidnapped from his home as his parents are murdered. He is taken to a secretive location in Maine (where else?) called “The Institute”. There he is confined with other children all of whom have supernatural powers either telekinesis or telepathy. The central character, Luke, and his new friends have one’s sympathy from the outset; the adult who eventually comes to their rescue is a classic American loner hero; and the villains are truly cruel. This is not a work of great literature, but it’s a fun way to spend one’s time during a pandemic — something which King has written about elsewhere.

Bangladesh: Massive crisis for Bangladesh’ garment workers

LabourStart - Tue, 2020-04-07 20:00
LabourStart headline - Source: IndustriALL
Syndicate content